At Auburn Agency Crop, LLC, we believe maintaining a strong independent agency is in the best interest of farmers, and that is what we strive to accomplish each day.
Auburn Agency Crop is a national specialty Crop Insurance Agency with headquarters located in Auburn, NE, additional locations in Nebraska City, NE, Rock Port, MO, and Hillsboro, OH.
Ruth Gerdes grew up on a farm and ranch in Western Nebraska and attended the University of Nebraska, where she earned degrees in agricultural journalism and animal science. In 1979 she married Myron, and the couple moved to his family farm near Auburn, Nebraska where they began their own corn, soybean, and purebred Angus farm. Gerdes’ first job was at Excel Corporation, now Cargill, where she was the first woman to be in their U.S. corporate sales division.
When severe droughts nearly forced the Gerdes family out of farming – due in part to a poor understanding of limited insurance policies available at the time – Gerdes decided she could do something about it by becoming an agent herself. Gerdes got her start by working part-time for The Auburn Agency in 1984, and since that time has become a partner, President of the agency, and one of the top crop insurance agents in the nation. The Auburn Agency today provides services to approximately 1,800 farmers in Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Ohio, Arkansas, Illinois, and Indiana.
Gerdes is currently a member of the Crop Insurance Professionals Association (CIPA), the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America (Big I), the American Association of Crop Insurers (AACI), and the American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF).
She has testified numerous times before Congress, she has been awarded the AACI “Top Gun” Award for outstanding contributions to the crop insurance industry, and she has served on a crop insurance working group under the direction of Senator Bob Kerrey (D-NE) and Senator Pat Roberts (R-KS) dedicated to the development and passage of the Agricultural Risk Protection Act of 2000, legislation responsible for much of today’s success of Federal Crop Insurance.
While Gerdes is one of the most knowledgeable and respected agents in the country, she has always considered herself a farmer first and she believes that this must always be the goal of Federal Crop Insurance: to put the farmer first.
Ruth Gerdes is President of Auburn Crop, LLC. Active Agents include:
- Ruth Gerdes – Auburn, NE
- Liz Huls-Brueggemann – Auburn, NE
- Ashley Hansen – Auburn, NE
- John Peterson – Nebraska City, NE
- Kent Fisher – Rock Port, MO
- Joanie Grimes – Hillsboro, OH
Auburn Agency Crop has a long history of policy development and program innovation. Areas we have been involved legislatively, or administratively with the Risk Management Agency are:
- Assisted Congress in securing prevented planting as a covered peril in the standard MPCI policy during the excessive moisture year 1996
- Ruth Gerdes chaired the Original APH Task Force at the request of Risk Management Agency Manager James Casson. This began the basis for our current Actual Production History that drives crop insurance today
- Provided input and guidance to Dr. Art Barnaby of Kansas State University in the development of revenue products
- Assisted Rick Gibson, President of American Agrisurance in getting approval and ability to sell the first Revenue Product approved by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation called Crop Revenue Coverage
- Ruth Gerdes has chaired the Regulatory Affairs Committee of the Crop Insurance Professional Agents of American, having served in this capacity for 4 years
- Ruth Gerdes has testified numerous times in front of Congress on behalf of farmers.
- Ruth spent 6 years on the Nebraska Corn Board and served on the National Corn Growers Government Affairs Committee